Last year I introduced my Give29 Campaign, in honor of my 29th birthday. I shared this story of my friend K, and how you could help her. And wow, you showed up in a big way. I am so thankful.
This is what I wrote in November 2015:
What's the story?
Our friend "K" walked into our church last year, and her life has never been the same. Thankfully, it's changed for the better!
With a past filled with abuse too terrible to name, K was never shown love or acceptance until this year. At nearly 60 years old, K faces some daunting issues that are made more challenging because she has learning differences that have never been addressed.
However, with a lot of love, patience and tenacity, we've made great strides in helping K becoming healthy--both mentally and physically.
K does understand the love of her Savior, and her life in Christ has been eternally changed. We thank God for that the most!
We've been able to get her food stamps, but it's a long and complicated road to get her qualified for the government assistance she really needs. Just two weeks ago, we were able to get her approved for medical care from the county hospital, so she will not have medical bills moving forward and can work on paying back the bills that she has.
What can you do to help?
We're putting together a LOVE FLASH MOB in honor of Shay's 29th birthday. If you'd like to help, we would be honored to have you on our team. We're asking friends & family to give up to $29.
These funds will be used towards the following types of needs:
- Car maintenance & repairs
- Winter clothes
- $800 of Medical bills that are past due
You gave over $4,000 in November 2015 to help her get a fresh start, and it's really happening!
The money you've given has paid her medical bills, repaired her car, given her winter clothes, and is allowing her to live in a condo for two months rent-free, until she has enough saved up to start paying rent regularly.
Following the Give29 Campaign, we've seen incredible miracles happening for K. Here are just a few:
- She was approved for Medicaid, which opens up lots of opportunities to get healthcare, counseling, a job coach and a life coach who takes her to doctors appointments and helps manage the day-to-day things, six hours a week. (This also means that I can start being just her friend, instead of her social worker!)
- K's life coach has another client who has been looking for a roommate for over a year. K will move in with her new roommate, M*, on Saturday! M is 55, funny, enjoys adult coloring books, and knows what she likes and dislikes. After spending an hour with K, she asked, "So, when's the soonest you can move in?" M has Down Syndrome, and has a live-in assistant. And while she won't care for K directly, I am resting easier knowing that K will have an adult at home with her most of the time, not to mention the companionship of new friends!
- Medicaid is also working on connecting K with a Job Coach who will observe her at Publix and ensure that she is doing her very best.
Transition is difficult for most people, even when it's a positive one. Will you join us in praying for these specific things?
- That the new changes would go smoothly and that moving day is a fun, positive experience. We have help lined up to move her, and I'm so excited to help K start fresh.
- Will you pray that her new home is full of sweet dreams? I can't go in to much detail, but this would be a huge blessing for her to have peaceful sleep.
- Please pray for discernment and wisdom for the doctors and therapists to know how to help her best.
- We also need to get K moved to a Publix that's closer to her new condo. Please pray that we find a more disability-friendly store that's near her new place.
Thanks again for your generosity. I wouldn't be a fundraiser without giving you the opportunity to give again here. :-) But seriously, thank you so much!
*Names not used for privacy reasons.